[OpenWrt-Devel] Random PARTUUID on every rebuild

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Feb 18 13:56:49 EST 2019

R. Diez via openwrt-devel <openwrt-devel at lists.openwrt.org> [2019-02-16 18:14:14]:

> The one thing I noticed is that there is a random PARTUUID for the X86_64
> target, and that it gets regenerated on every (re)build. This makes the
> image different every time, even if nothing has changed.

PARTUUID can't be the source of the rebuild as PARTUUID is not target or
dependency in the make's build pipeline. The (re)build times here are the same,
with or without ptgen's random signature.

> Is there a reason why this partition ID has to be random? Such things make it
> impossible to do repeatable builds.

It's UUID, so I think it should be unique. It seems like you could use
CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_PARTNAME for fixed root partition name, but by looking at
the code, it might probably need some love to get it working properly.

-- ynezz