[OpenWrt-Devel] ath79: ar71xx: Upgrade: tl-wr842n-v1 has Wrong BOARDNAME in ar71xx Builds

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Tue Feb 5 13:00:01 EST 2019

Adding Marcin to Cc loop.

Jeff Kletsky <lede at allycomm.com> [2019-02-01 11:33:46]:

> As a result, users upgrading that device to ath79 will not have a seamless
> experience, requiring manual intervention.

Yes, it's a known deficiency, I'm not sure how to handle it properly at this
point of time. Maybe we should provide some additional checks in sysupgrade on
ar71xx just for those devices?

> I'm hesitant to suggest that the TL-MR3420 be added to SUPPORTED_DEVICES for
> tl-wr842n-v2 under ath79, as I believe the MR3420 is a 4/32 device and the
> WR842N v1 is a 8/32 device. Some <strike>idiot</strike> uninformed user
> might suggest that TL-MR3420 users try to flash the 8 MB image.

Well I've suggested it as well, but it wasn't considered safe[1].

1. https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1625

-- ynezz