[OpenWrt-Devel] Sysupgrade possibly broken in recent development snapshots: "message": "Firmware image couldn't be validated"

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Dec 30 14:07:46 EST 2019

Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> [2019-12-29 23:21:23]:

> So perhaps this is something Cortex-A72 related?

I've just tried it under QEMU 4.2.50 with:

 * machine: virt
 * cpu:     cortex-a72
 * rootfs:  http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/armvirt/64/openwrt-armvirt-64-rootfs-squashfs.img.gz
            (OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r11829-e3e939d8e6)

and the result is same as on x86/64, I'm unable to reproduce the issue:

 root at OpenWrt:/# sysupgrade http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2711/openwrt-brcm2708-bcm2711-rpi-4-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz
 Downloading 'http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2711/openwrt-brcm2708-bcm2711-rpi-4-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz'
 Connecting to 176.9.48.73:80
 Writing to '/tmp/sysupgrade.img'
 /tmp/sysupgrade.img  100% |*******************************| 12067k  0:00:00 ETA
 Download completed (12357050 bytes)
 Device linux,dummy-virt not supported by this image
 Supported devices: raspberrypi,4-model-b
 Image check failed.

root at OpenWrt:/# echo raspberrypi,4-model-b > /tmp/sysinfo/board_name

root at OpenWrt:/# sysupgrade /tmp/sysupgrade.img
 Saving config files...
 Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
 killall: telnetd: no process killed
 Sending TERM to remaining processes ... dnsmasq netifd odhcpd ntpd ubusd urngd logd
 Sending KILL to remaining processes ...
 Switching to ramdisk...
 ...snip...

So I'm wondering what is going on there.

-- ynezz