[OpenWrt-Devel] Review and cleanup of base packages

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Sat Aug 10 05:58:09 EDT 2019

Hi,

one of the topics discussed during recent Hamburg meeting was "Review base
packages"[1], where we simply talked about:

 * lack of formal definition for a base package
 * transfer of base packages which don't fit formal definition into feeds

So, how can we define which package should be included in the base/master
tree? (Any idea where to put this on the wiki?)

 * package is needed by device in order to
   - build the image and flashing tools
   - boot device into usable state
 * package is convenient for development (gdb, perf, strace, valgrind etc.)
   - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
 * it's convenient for testing (ct-bugcheck, fbtest, spidev_test, iperf3 etc.)
   - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
 * package is needed for automatic testing
   - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
 * it's not possible to build the package and/or tooling out of the tree

For the initial discussion, I've simply created a list of packages which are
not used by any target, so probably possible candidates for transfer into the
feeds:

 boot/kexec-tools
 devel/gdb
 devel/perf
 devel/strace
 devel/trace-cmd
 devel/valgrind
 firmware/am33x-cm3
 firmware/amd64-microcode
 kernel/avila-wdt
 kernel/gpio-nct5104d
 kernel/leds-apu2/src
 kernel/rtc-rv5c386a
 kernel/rtl8812au-ct
 kernel/trelay
 kernel/w1-gpio-custom
 libs/libbsd                       (lldpd)
 libs/libconfig
 libs/libevent2                    (lldpd)
 libs/libnetfilter-cthelper
 libs/libnetfilter-cttimeout
 libs/libnetfilter-log
 libs/libnetfilter-queue
 libs/libroxml
 libs/libusb-compat
 libs/nghttp2                      (curl)
 libs/popt
 network/config/ltq-vdsl-app
 network/config/qos-scripts
 network/config/vti