[OpenWrt-Devel] [Patch 1/1] mtd add winbond w25q128jv nor flash

Schlote, Carsten Carsten.Schlote at leica-camera.com
Thu Apr 4 16:02:16 EDT 2019

Hi Petr,

> FYI there is no plan to make another v17 release.

Oh, thanks for the info. Just another good reason to migrate from our patched v17 to v18 asap ;-) I made an initial v18 branch some months ago. The new flash device forced me to patch the current v17 as some kind of hotfix, and eventually reminded me of the prepared v18 version. It is time to finish it up, I guess.

> Anyway, nice to see OpenWrt being used in such places.

> Does it mean, that I can buy some Leica camera and control it from ubus or Lua?

Yes and no.

We use OpenWrt for our current network connectivity modules. Using some embedded linux solves a lot of problems and simplifies many deveoping and programming tasks. And OpenWrt was designed to talk to the network - so everything was there and we had to add just some kind of control programm. On the other hand OpenWrt decouples the camera firmware from the rest of the world. The camera firmware uses a custom OS - perfect for 'machine control' software. And instead of reinventing the wheel again, we use some OpenWrt hardware as a side-car . No need to write anything from scratch again.

Of course and for good reasons we can't allow direct use of the OpenWrt module, although there could be some intersting use-cases.

But our Android and iPhone Apps can be used to control the cameras.

Best regards
 Carsten