[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 19.01 plans

Rosen Penev rosenp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 14:20:18 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We talked about plans for the next OpenWrt releases in this mail thread:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2018-July/000849.html
> This mail is more or less a summary of the conclusions, this is still
> open for change especially the dates as this depends on people having
> time to do the work.
>
> The next release, lets call it OpenWrt 19.01, should happen in January
> 2019, we would branch off from master in December 2018. This is the
> current plan, but based on past experience it could also happen later.
>
> OpenWrt 19.01 will ship with kernel 4.14 only, we encourage everyone to
> update the targets to kernel 4.14, support for kernel 4.19 will probably
> be added to OpenWrt master soon, but we will not select it as the
> default kernel for any target till OpenWrt 19.01 is branched off, to get
> more testing on 4.14. The release after 19.01, which should happen in
> late summer 2019, should then use kernel 4.19 only.
>
> For OpenWrt 19.01 GCC will stay on the 7.X branch, binutils and musl
> already got some upgrades after the 18.06 release and could get some
> more updates.
Speaking of which, I request that at least these be merged:

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/6995
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/6886
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/6879
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/6872
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/6367

These are mainly compilation fixes as well as some usability ones (The
last is needed for LVM2 and fio to work properly).

There are over 200 pull requests in the packages repository that
should be ironed out before the release.