[OpenWrt-Devel] Ubiquiti UniFi AC range missing factory images?

p.wassi at gmx.at p.wassi at gmx.at
Mon Sep 10 07:48:18 EDT 2018

Hi Stijn,

I do only have experience with the LITE version of the Unifi AC series, and can
therefore only talk for this device.
There's no web GUI - the only way to flash is via ssh or in bootloader.
As we don't have a way to sign our images (RSA signature?), there's no way to
guarantee that Ubuquiti devices will be easily flashable in the future.

There's a thread in the forum [1], stating the bootloader checks the signature
and also newer firmwares's userspace executables for upgrading also perform checks.

Worst case, if the devices are completely locked down in future: directly
flash a somewhat "open" bootloader to the SPI flash.

For me, a factory image only makes sense, if there's a way to flash it via
given ways in stock firmware.

Regards,
Paul

[1]: