[OpenWrt-Devel] Ubiquiti UniFi AC range missing factory images?

Stijn Segers foss at volatilesystems.org
Sat Sep 8 11:47:07 EDT 2018

Hey guys,

The whole UniFi AC range (initial support got added in commit
cede06cebc) only has sysupgrade images available, which means, if you
break stuff, you need to flash Ubiquiti's own firmware first through
TFTP, and only after that you're able to reinstall OpenWrt again. Since
newer Ubiquiti images (after March 2017 it seems) also lack the mtd
command necessary to flash OpenWrt, I was wondering why there's only
sysupgrade images. After all, Ubiquiti might pull those older firmwares
at any time, and that would mean people which buy these devices would
be unable to install OpenWrt on them.

The initial commit doesn't contain any motivation for leaving out
factory images; but given what needs to be done, it seems to me they
would be quite a useful addition?

Cheers

Stijn