[OpenWrt-Devel] wifi dropouts; regression since 2015 still not fixed

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat May 26 13:11:56 EDT 2018

Hi Luke,

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:34:30PM +0000, Luke Dashjr wrote:
> Half a year ago, I went to the trouble to identify the exact cause of the
> regression since 2015 where Openwrt/LEDE would drop off wifi every few hours:
>
> https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=1180
>
> There's even a clear and obvious solution: just remove the broken patch.

Thank you for bringing this up. I haven't been aware of the ticket on
the bugtracker and can confirm this or a very similar problem on all
ath9k devices.
So do I get right that you can also confirm the problem exists and have
tried significantly hard to make sure that removing patch
355-ath9k-limit-retries-for-powersave-response-frames.patch
and/or completely disabling power-management resolves it?
If so, please share in more detail what exactly you have tested, on
which exact hardware and in which way(s) you can reproduce that the
problem does exist for sure or doesn't exist for sure.

> Yet still it's been 6 months with nothing done... not even an acknowledgement
> that the bug report was seen by a human.

Probably due to the bug description which makes it look like if it was
a device-specific problem and you could only reproduce it on those
specific Buffalo boxes...

> I even emailed nbd (who added the broken patch) back in November, and heard
> nothing back from him either.
>
> Is Openwrt even being maintained at this point? Has everyone moved on to yet
> another project or something?

nah. LEDE has merged back with OpenWrt, as you can see in the git
history, we have been very active in the recent past and a new release
is coming up very soon (18.06). It's kinda true that currently nobody
feels too responsible for ath9k, because most people developing code
for new hardware have moved on to mt76, ath10k and so on.
I agree that this is not a very desirable situation and as a community-
driven project with most contributions being unpaid for, there is not
much we can do about it. In that sense, you just did something valuable
by bringing up the culprit patch responsible for all our ath9k problems
and hopefully someone with that hardware around will find the time to
come up with a good solution.

Cheers

Daniel