[OpenWrt-Devel] Reducing the root file system in openwrt

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Wed Mar 7 07:14:42 EST 2018

On 2018-03-07 13:00, Arjav Parikh wrote:
> Hi Ronaldo,
>
> I am building firmware for IPQ806x platform. I have been able to
> reduce my firmware image from 22 MB to 10 MB  by disabling unwanted
> kernel modules and libraries using make menuconfig.
>
> But there are files in root-ipq806x/lib/fimrware directory of approx
> size 4.4 MB. I do not require any of the files present in this
> directory. I tried to remove those files by removing its entry from
> root-ipq806x/usr/lib/opkg/info/wigig-firmware.list assuming that on
> next build these files wont appear but still the files are there in
> /lib/firmware directory.
> By removing these files I can further reduce filesystem by 4 MB.
Hi Arjav,

Are you really using a real OpenWrt?
The presence of the "wigig-firmware" package makes me suspect that
you're using the "QSDK" fork instead. In that case, you should probably
ask QCA for support instead. We won't be able to help you properly,
since the system that you're using is very heavily modified in many ways.

- Felix