[OpenWrt-Devel] [hostapd] AP+STA mode support in Upstream Hostapd

Sathishkumar Muruganandam murugana at codeaurora.org
Fri Jun 1 06:23:33 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-30 15:49, Daniel Golle wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 03:19:52PM +0530, Sathishkumar Muruganandam
> wrote:
>> On 2018-05-30 11:44, John Crispin wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > the original commit was
>> >
>> > commit 35cdc5d722883cac8b524ea803ee7eedca844087
>> > Author: Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org>
>> > Date:   Sat Oct 23 23:39:54 2010 +0000
>> >
>> >     hostapd/mac80211: implement support for AP+STA
>> >
>> >     SVN-Revision: 23602
>> >
>> > for future reference, you can use one of gits less known features to
>> > track these down ...
>> > git log --follow
>> > package/network/services/hostapd/patches/340-reload_freq_change.patch
>> >
>> >     John
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, John !
>>
>> We want to go beyond and find more details about the commit message of
> each
>> patch. Is there any way to access "SVN-Revision: 23602" info ?
>
> I guess back at the days of subversion nobody really left more than
> one line of a commit message. So what you see above is all there is.
>

>> Also whether these patches were already sent for upstream review ? We
> were
>> planning to upstream these patches to hostapd.
>
> No and at least I believe it would be quite difficult to do so.

Thanks for your response Daniel !

Can we have these patches in upstream for supporting the AP +STA mode as
the way present in OpenWrt ? ( only wpa_s on STA interface and hostapd
on AP
interface )

> The direction of the hostap project seems to be to cover most AP
> functionality in wpa_supplicant and have a single process for all
> virtual interfaces (or even all radios in a system).
> This is how it is done on Android or how NetworkManager creates
> a tethering AP.

I understand that this can't be generic solution for devices running
single process
and wpa_s doing AP stuff. Our intention was to make these patches
available in
upstream at least for repeater use case where (AP+STA) mode will be
following their
associated root AP channel switch events.

Your thoughts please !

> On OpenWrt we do things differently and run hostapd for all AP
> interfaces and wpa_supplicant for all client and mesh interfaces of
> an individual radio. Only this makes signalling between hostapd and
> wpa_supplicant necessary.
>

>> Any thoughts ?
>

>> --
>> Thanks,