[OpenWrt-Devel] ar71xx: add support for UniFi-AC-Mesh-Pro

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Wed Jul 18 13:04:39 EDT 2018

On 07/07/2018 10:34 PM, Christoph Krapp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm writing to the mailing list because mkresin closed my github pr[1]
> and pointed me here.
> The PR adds model detection for Ubiquity UniFi-AC-Mesh-Pro to the
> ar71xx target. The source of inspiration was the commit that added
> UniFi-AC-Mesh detection [2].
> This patch is needed for the gluon project as we need to distinguish
> between indoor and outdoor devices. Right now some communities use the
> ap-ac-pro image and have to manually configure the 5GHz channel to
> comply with the local rules. This could be done automatically if the
> detection gets merged.
> mkresin merged the ath79 patch and therefore closed the arth71xx pr.
> As the ath79 target is not finished right now and disabled in
> openwrt-18.06 we need the ar71xx patch as the next gluon version will
> be based on 18.06.
> So please consider to merge this patch and backport it to the 18.06
> branch as it only adds an alias and the model detection was tested
> successfully by multiple people on both devices.
>
> Thanks,
> achterin
>
> [1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1107
> [2] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/f8dbafb234c9a0a836ff3bede0540c20914b6d4e

Having a way to get ath79 hardware backports into 18.06 would be nice; I
see three options here:

1) Continue accepting ar71xx patches in the OpenWrt master, backport to 18.06
2) Directly merge ar71xx patches to 18.06 without applying them to master first
3) Backport the ath79 target to 18.06 (I think having ath79 in 18.06 was
planned, but it was removed because it was not ready yet - which might have
changed by now?)

In any case, the ath79 target should take precedence, and we should not
accept ar71xx hardware support patches in either of the branches as long as
the hardware has not been added to ath79 first.

Regards,
Matthias