[OpenWrt-Devel] Firewall settings must be manually changed for 6to4

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sun Dec 30 07:38:07 EST 2018

On 2018-12-30 12:40, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I recently set up an OpenWrt 18.06.1 router at a place where the ISP
>> does not provide native IPv6, but does provide their own 6to4
>> tunnelling server. I installed 6to4 and ip-full on the router and
>> configured WAN6, but was puzzled as to why IPv6 wasn't working until I
>> discovered that the default firewall settings block forwarded traffic.
>> Changing "Forward" from "reject" to "accept" under "General Settings"
>> resolved the problem.
>
> This is a huge security issue, you should not do that, ever.
> You likely need both an ingress rule allowing protocol 41 traffic and
> join the wan6 interface to the existing wan zone.
>
> ~ Jo

your correct.

this discussion made me wonder something related to 6rd.
assuming you have an isp that provides 6rd settings via dhcpv4 options openwrt
auto creates a 6rd interface for you, what firewall zone do this interface end
up in by default?
i assume it ends up in same zone as its associated ipv4 interface right? so
likely wan.

reason for asking is that when looking at what interfaces is in what zone this
auto created interface is not listed.