[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] stop accepting 4/32M board patches

Tom Psyborg pozega.tomislav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:37:37 EST 2018

This is true. 32mb is misinterpretted as a limitation among several
forum/wiki articles while storage space is being the only serious
limitation. I have ar71xx running on 32M RAM device, basic
configuration with luci-ssl and secondary wifi interface (ath9k_htc),
most of the time when i log into device to check there's >11000KB
memory available (this still using squashfs image, switching to jffs2
can free up additional 2000-3000KBs of RAM)  so 8/32 devices should
not be affected and 4/32 warnings should be renamed to something like
4M flash warning or low flash warning to prevent confusion.
As for 4/32 devices the best practice in my opinion would be to
disable luci building by default which could ensure enough space for
target builds, and those who need custom builds with luci can
experiment with space optimizations on their own.