[OpenWrt-Devel] Add support for kernel 4.19

Daniel Engberg daniel.engberg.lists at pyret.net
Wed Dec 19 17:17:54 EST 2018

On 2018-12-09 15:57, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 12/3/18 11:22 AM, Daniel Engberg wrote:
>> Hi Hauke!
>>
>> First of all, great work and also thanks to the others who
>> contributed!
>
> Thanks for testing this Daniel,
>
> The target code still needs some work, I only added this to test the
> generic code.
>
>> I gave this a try on my Orange Pi PC (Allwinner H3) and it seems to
>> run
>> fine overall. Ethernet TX is a bit slow (~65mbit using iperf3) while
>> RX
>> does full line speed (~94mbit) more or less and USB also seems to work
>> as it should.
>
> I used a Xunlong Orange Pi R1 (Allwinner H3) and got 94 Mbits/sec in RX
> and TX on both LAN ports (Allwinner MAC and Realtek USB MAC).
>
>> CONFIG_REGULATOR_SY8106A=y should probably be added to the kernel
>> config
>> as it's need to make cpufreq usable on this board.
>
> Ok, I will add it.
>
>> Looking at Armbian's repo we seem to lack a few kernel options which
>> might be useful in regards of thermal performance/power consumption.
>>
>> CONFIG_ARM_CPUIDLE=y
>> CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
>> CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_MULTIPLE_DRIVERS=y
>> CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER=y
>> CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_MENU=y
>> CONFIG_DT_IDLE_STATES=y
>
> I think there are still some pull requests open where people want to
> backport these features to 4.14, we should probably at least activate
> them in the kernel where they are available.
>
>> For those using A64/H5 the Armbian repo contains quite a bit of
>> patches
>> which might be worth looking at.
>> https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev
>> It should also be noted that they're using
>> https://github.com/megous/linux instead of mainline but it seems close
>> to mainline in general.
>
> I think the non video parts are well supported in mainline by now, is
> there something particular interesting this this repository?
>
> Hauke

Hi,

Allwinner H5 SoCs are known to run very hot and they do quite easily
overheat so it's probably a good idea to import cpufreq support
otherwise
there should at least be a warning at boot that it'll most likely
overheat which in turn will cause a bad user experience.
This also seems to plague the A64 SoC to some extent.

There are also a few patches for nanopi boards which perhaps we should
import?

At least on my board any kind of cpufreq/power management seems to be
disabled by default which might be a good idea to change?

Best regards,
Daniel