[OpenWrt-Devel] ar71xx Vs ath79 -- sysupgrade

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh henrique at nic.br
Thu Dec 6 04:37:50 EST 2018

Em 05/12/2018 21:20, Thomas Endt escreveu:
>> Auftrag von Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
>> Do we have a wiki table somewhere that has the device name, ar71xx info
>> and ath79 info, which could be expanded with ar71xx->ath79 status (no,
>> yes but unverified, yes verified to be complete)?
>>
>> That would be really useful to direct efforts on adding ath79 support
>> to something that is still ar71xx-only, as well as adding ar71xx->ath79
>> support to targets of interest (i.e. those one happens to know what
>> changes are required for the migration, really).
>>
>> I suppose one would also add any remarks about ath79 support being
>> incomplete or any regressions for each target one knows about, too.
>> That would help steering the ar71xx deprecation.
>
> There is a table that documents the ath79 status in the OpenWrt forum:
> https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ath79-target-status/18614/9
>
> The place to put this into the wiki would be:
> https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ath79
>

> We can define a new target "ar71xx-ath79" for the dataentries, which would then give us these 3 options:
>
> 1) "ar71xx"          # device is ar71xx only
> 2) "ath79"           # device is ath79 only
> 3) "ar71xx-ath79"    # device is migrated (and working, if nothing in "Unsupported Functions")
>
> ---> devices will automatically show up on the ath79 and/or ar71xx wikipage (slight modifications necessary).
>
> For "ath79 WIP" devices, we can set the "Unsupported Functions" datafield (that's where WIP usually is found) to "ath79 WIP, see forum".
> Any detailed discussion or description of incomplete support should happen elsewhere, i.e. either in the forum or on the respective devicepages.
>
> Please let me know if this meets your requirements.

Yes, this would do it nicely, provided that we take care to describe in
the web pages what ar71xx-ath79 means.

Note that my answer assumes "migrated" (i.e. ar71xx-ath79) means the
glue to migrate and convert low-level config (LEDs, etc) when updating
from ar71xx -> ath79 is in place on the ath79 port.

If it just does ar71xx _and_ ath79, BUT one has to manually adjust
configuration when migrating from ar71xx to ath79, it would have to be
flagged as WIP or something like that, even if all of its functions are
fully implemented and working in ath79.

Thanks!

--
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh