[OpenWrt-Devel] ar71xx Vs ath79 -- sysupgrade

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh henrique at nic.br
Wed Dec 5 05:03:21 EST 2018

Em 04/12/2018 19:57, Piotr Dymacz escreveu:
> On 04.12.2018 17:08, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>> Another aspect was the LED configuration, as LED naming is very
>>> inconsistent and often differs from ar71xx. Some LEDs are now not
>>> included in UCI configuration. >
>>> So you either need to delete (and recreate) them ore just dump your
>>> '/etc/config/system' and recreate it using "config_generate".
>>
>> Is it possible to have uci-defaults/ to fix those on upgrade (i.e. when
>> it detects ar71xx-style traces in the system)?  As well as the wmac path?
>>
>> Because a _lot_ of people will need to do ar71xx->ath79.
>
> ar71xx already includes such "migration" uci-defaults scripts and I
> believe we could use something similar in ath79 to make the update
> transparent for users (fix wmac path, LED names etc.). LED example:
>
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/base-files/etc/uci-defaults/04_led_migration

Yes, that's exactly what I meant...

In ath79's case, it makes sense to handle not only changes in the ath79
DTSes (ath79->ath79), but also migrations from ar71xx (ar71xx->ath79),
even if we create a specific config option to handle that (to compile it
out from small flash devices, for example).

Do we have a wiki table somewhere that has the device name, ar71xx info
and ath79 info, which could be expanded with ar71xx->ath79 status (no,
yes but unverified, yes verified to be complete)?

That would be really useful to direct efforts on adding ath79 support to
something that is still ar71xx-only, as well as adding ar71xx->ath79
support to targets of interest (i.e. those one happens to know what
changes are required for the migration, really).

I suppose one would also add any remarks about ath79 support being
incomplete or any regressions for each target one knows about, too.
That would help steering the ar71xx deprecation.

--
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Analista de Projetos