[OpenWrt-Devel] Use DHCP by default on single port devices

Lech Perczak lech.perczak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:48:07 EDT 2018

Hi,

W dniu 2018-08-28 o 22:29, Michael Heimpold pisze:
> Hi,
>
>> "DHCP Client", even with an alternative static IP address, might not
>> work for some home users.
> to make this work better, some companies are choosing the static fallback
> IP address in the AutoIP range 169.254.x.x/16. At least Windows will fallback
> to this range if it does not find a DHCP server on this link; so it should at
> least possible to browse to the web gui and/or open a SSH connection...
> without reconfiguring your Windows system.
>
> I don't know whether this works out-of-the-box on Mac or usual Linux distros,
> too.

At least on my Debian boxen, using NetworkManager, it does not. I have
to select this type of autoconfiguration manually first.

> Regards,
> Michael

To me, adding of 2 separate mechanisms (mDNS, UPnP) on top of fixed IP
address or APIPA sounds like a horrendous feature creep, just to replace
one mechanism that works (DHCP). On my machines, I use none of the
mechanisms. I don't like the idea of installing Avahi on Linux boxen, or
enabling UPnP on Windows ones, just to get to my
router/bridge/AP/whatever-runs-OpenWrt for initial configuration.

When configuring the Ubiquiti bridges (for example Nanobridge M5) for
the first time, while sitting on rooftop with my laptop only, DHCP works
quite well - it is not a big effort to just disable it at the end of
configuration.

When doing testing on the ground, I usually have a router with DHCP
server already available, so using it to assign IP to newly configured
device might be useful, but it usually is not a big problem to
temporarily connect Ethernet to the newly configured device, still
having Wi-Fi connectivity.

Also, there is another class of devices, beside "bridges". Travel
routers, such as TP-Link WR703N.
Having only one USB port it is clearly a router, having USB port
dedicated for mobile broadband modem. Yet this is the most typical
scenario. One might use it as an access point, or as weather station as
well. Those configurations suit different types of address assignment
method.

Do we really need to make the distinction between them?

Actually, when writing the above, one idea struck me.
When starting, dnsmasq checks if there are no other DHCP servers present
on the network, and if they are, it bails out. Maybe it would be
possible to use IP assigned by authoritative DHCP server, if one is
already present, otherwise startup DHCP as before. Still, this would be
quite unusual behaviour, and this might have flaws I have yet to think of

--
With kind regards,
Lech