[OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt/packages: [RFC] Proposed flattening of menuconfig menus

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Mon Aug 13 06:19:51 EDT 2018

"Daniel F. Dickinson" <cshored at thecshore.com> wrote:
> Posting on list as I think the discussion should include as
> folks as possible in the discussion.
>
> https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/6745
>
> > Especially when getting started with OpenWrt finding things in menuconfig is complicated by the second level menus that are sometimes used and sometimes not, even when the category exists.
> >
> > Further not everything fits neatly in a category.
> >
> > Finally when, years ago, I tried to improve the situation the above resulted in titles that I think make it harder to find things (in retrospect).
> >
> > Therefore I would like to do a mass removal of the second-level menus, leaving only the broad top-level categories like 'net', and 'utlitiies'.
> >
> > Thoughts?

I agree that the earlier attempts at adding more categories was
probably unhelpful, and just required more places to try checking
for things. I think there's still room for _some_ second level
menus (all of the iotivity stuff is fine in it's own menu for
instance) , but they would need to have a "maintainer" of sorts,
to try and sheperd new packages into that menu. You're only
talking about the net/utilities/libraries trees right?
luci/languages/kernel are all well maintained.

What I honestly think is the biggest missing thing sometimes is
proper package descriptions.

I'd support undoing many of the nestings that were done,
especially under networking. Especially the vague ones like "file
transfer" and "bit torrent" and "download managers" and the
"routing" ""vpn" "wwan" "firewall tunnel

Cheers,
Karl P