[OpenWrt-Devel] Firewall Documentation

Dave Turvene - Work dturvene at dahetral.com
Thu Aug 9 10:55:47 EDT 2018

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/automation/domoticz_another_page

> The page made with that link will then appear automatically in the
> "automation" category in other pages that show all pages from a specific
> category, like here
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/automation/start
>
> We actually discussed wiki plugins to let people add new pages with a
more intuitive way here
> https://forum.openwrt.org/t/lede-openwrt-wiki-merge/10861/108 but I
didn't yet find the time to do that.

> -Alberto

Thanks, I added a page to the firewall configuration section:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/firewall/iptables-log-forwarded-packets

and then I looked at other pages in the firewall section.  Many, if not
most, are very old and no longer a good way to set up the firewall.

I started adding a warning to those pages I KNOW are inaccurate but that
became tedious - especially considering some of the pages are still
valid but there is a better/less-difficult mechanism.   One repeated
issue I see is  the openwrt firewall3 (fw3) user-space executable has
replaced the need for still-referenced but un-supported executables used
to generate iptable chains/rules (fwBuilder,  Essence, Shorewall).
Many of the iptable shell scripts are suspicious, confusing, or specific
to a device configuration - and appear to be from the freifunk effort.
There are several references to ebtables and nftables - one appears to
be deprecated and one not integrated.  All the netfilter kernel modules
and openwrt packages are concisely documented for the 2.6.32 kernel.

So there is a good amount of work to clean up the firewall section -
which is central to the purpose of openwrt.  I'm willing to clean it up
but not through-the-web.  I would use emacs to edit multiple markup
pages quickly.

Maybe it's better to leave this section alone for historical purposes
and with a deprecation warning like the old wiki.openwrt.org pages?

David Turvene