[OpenWrt-Devel] watchdog against router crash freezes?

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Thu Aug 9 05:53:12 EDT 2018

Marcel Partap <mpartap at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear OpenWRT/LEDE team,
> my WNR2200 on fresh 18.06 r7188 frequently dies with LEDs
> frozen.. The device has had some troubles on stock firmware as
> well.
>
> How do I set up a watchdog to reset the device when it gets
> stuck? I've had a look at freifunk-watchdog, kmod-softdog &
> watchcat packages but couldn't quite figure out a way. Also (to
> my suprise) didn't find anything about watchdogs in the wiki..

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/ubus/system has watchdog
information, but also, bear in mind that it just uses the normal
kernel infrastructure for watchdogs, so there's no particular
openwrt specific information.

That said, you may be seeing:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12121 where people have reported
watchdog resets causing hard lockup on and off for a few years.
If that sounds familiar, you could potentially try the patch in
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/747 and see if that
helps.

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson