[OpenWrt-Devel] Help for updating kernel drivers

Sergey Ryazanov ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com
Wed May 31 17:01:23 EDT 2017

Hello Swapnil,

Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:48:50 AM, you wrote:
> If anyone can help me to figure out a way by which I can modify a
> driver of linux kernel and make the change reflect in the router.

Could  you  specify,  please, that the driver you mentioned comes from
the  kernel  tarball  or  from a separate package? The workflow is the
same, but the commands for different cases are somewhat different.

> Till now I tried to download the tarballs by "make download" then I
> inserted a print statement on one of the drivers and then used
> "make" to build the image. Finally when I dmesg on the router the
> print  statement  doesn't work. I think my code has been overwritten
> when "make" is called.
>
> Please give some advice on how to do that.

There is a good step-by-step guide how to patch the source code before
the compilation: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/patches

Feel free to ask, if in this guide something is not clear.

--
Sergey