[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] Pre-seeded files/directories for UBIFS

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Sat May 20 14:39:33 EDT 2017

Hello,

On 05/20/2017 09:12 AM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> These days I had an interesting discussion with Christoph about overlayfs and
> its burden. The main use-case of overlayfs in combination with UBIFS is having a
> squashfs as lower and UBIFS as upper directory. Such that all changes to the
> read-only squashfs go into UBIFS. Upon a factory reset all files within the
> UBIFS will be removed  and the merged directory is clean again. Christoph argued
> that such a functionality  could be achieved without overlayfs if the filesystem
> supported something like pre-seeded  files or directories. This would lower
> memory pressure and complexity.

As you may know, OpenWrt/LEDE have been using this scheme for many years
now (before it was named overlayfs, this was called mini fanout overlay
~10 yrs ago) with squashfs + jffs2 before on P-NOR flashes. There are
still devices like those that benefit from squashfs(ro)+jffs2(rw), so
while bringing a similar functionality using UBIFS exclusively would be
interesting, it would still make Linux distribution want to support a
more generic scheme which is using overlayfs as well.