[OpenWrt-Devel] Building own kernel in OpenWRT

Anton Ivanov anton.ivanov at cambridgegreys.com
Sat Dec 2 13:10:14 EST 2017

On 02/12/17 16:56, Phani Siriki wrote:
> Hi Ronaldo
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I referred to the link you suggested. But I couldn't find any
> information which tells how to point to my modified linux code (either
> github link or local repo).
>
> Could you please help me on this?

Step 1. Port your changes to the version OpenWRT uses. At the moment
that is 4.4. Port any dependencies as well.

Step 2. Create a patch versus 4.4 and add it to the patches for the
target you are building. For example for uml (what I work with) the
patches would be in target/linux/uml/patches-4.4 It is generally better
to chose high numbers so that your stuff is applied after all of the
patchsets openwrt applies first.

Step 3. make clean ; make

If you are thinking of replacing the OpenWRT default version with
another version have a look at how many patches are by default applied
at the moment. If you feel like you can port all of that to your kernel
version, sure, try to switch versions. I have found doing the opposite -
porting my changes to the version used in OpenWRT being significantly
easier.

A.

> Best Regards
> Phani
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Ronaldo Afonso
> <ronaldo at ronaldoafonso.com.br <mailto:ronaldo at ronaldoafonso.com.br>>
> wrote:
>
>      Hi Phani,
>
>      Take a look at the "make kernel_menuconfig" or this link:
>     https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#kernel_configuration_optional
>     <https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#kernel_configuration_optional>
>
>      Regards ...

>     <mailto:yvsg.phanis at gmail.com>>:
>
>         Dear All
>
>         I want to change the linux kernel in my OpenWrt build.
>
>         I made changes to the kernel and committed to my github account.
>
>         Could someone let me know the makefiles I need to change to
>         get the kernel of my own?
>
>         Thanks in Advance.
>
>         Best Regards
>         Phani

>     --
>     Ronaldo Afonso
>     11 9 5252 0484
>     www.ronaldoafonso.com.br <http://www.ronaldoafonso.com.br>

Anton R. Ivanov
Cambridgegreys Limited. Registered in England. Company Number 10273661