[OpenWrt-Devel] ath10k mesh + ap + encryption?

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Tue Sep 13 07:13:49 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:59:31 AM CEST Valo, Kalle wrote:
> Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de> writes:
> > we have done some experiments last week on ath10k, trying to run mesh
> > (802.11s) and access point at the same time, both encrypted.
> >
> > We have tested a recent LEDE (reboot-1519-g42f559e) but with
> > firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.42-2 and the included wpa_supplicant, which gave
> > us a working encrypted 802.11s network. However, starting an AP at the
> > same time didn't work (AP doesn't beacon). This wasn't a problem when
> > 802.11s was running unencrypted.
> >
> > We also tested version 10.2.4.97 (from codeaurora), which is now default
> > in
> > LEDE. However, this version apparently doesn't support 11s mesh at all
> > (WMI_SERVICE_MESH_11S is disabled in the service map, but cfg/mac80211
> > advertises support).
> >
> > So here are my questions:
> >  * Did anyone succesfully run AP and mesh, both encrypted at the same
> >  time?
> >  * Do you have any pointers how we could fix this? Could it be fixable in
> >  the>
> > driver (i.e. not in firmware)?
> >
> >  * Does anyone have an idea if 11s will be supported in future versions? I
> >
> > didn't find any changelogs, but having 11s mode no longer in the service
> > map does not make me optimistic.
>
> Why is LEDE using 10.2.4.97? It seems to be a quite old release and I
> have no knowledge if anyone even tests that firmware branch with ath10k.
> I recommend to only use firmware releases from ath10k-firmware.git as we
> use those internally with ath10k. In any case, don't make any
> assumptions about future from that firmware branch as it's so old.

This was introduced in December 25th, 2015 after some firmware-related
problems. I'm CC'ing Martin Blumenstingl who suggested this change.

Since then, ath10k is pulling firmware from here (unless ct firmware is used):

https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/qsdk/oss/firmware/ath10k-firmware/plain/
10.2.4/firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.97-1

However, I don't understand the numbering? 10.2.4.97 > 10.2.4.70, but you say
10.2.4.70.42-2 is more recent? I would have assumed otherwise from the
numbers. However, 10.2.4.70 has much more sub-revisions. Is there any document
describing the revisions? I don't understand it at least from this wiki page
[1].

Thanks!
    Simon

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath10k/firmware