[OpenWrt-Devel] gen_initramfs_list.sh escaping problem or stale dependency file?

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:12:15 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have a root filesystem embedding filenames that look like these:

/lib/data/<vid>:<pid>

these are essentially files that can be matched against an USB
vendor/product id in an easy way.

Now, the fun part is that this is only a problem when doing the
following (using OpenWrt/LEDE as a build system):

1:
- set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE=""
- build kernel modules
- build my user-space tools
- build the kernel image
- reconfigure the kernel to now use an initramfs
- build the kernel w/ initramfs

and then back to step 1 with the kernel build, would I hit this error:

usr/Makefile:64: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

which comes from usr/.initramfs_data.cpio.d containing these files
without escaping:

deps_initramfs := ./scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh \
/exp00/fainelli/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/target-arm-linux-gnueabihf/root-brcmstb
\
/exp00/fainelli/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/target-arm-linux-gnueabihf/root-brcmstb/lib
\

/exp00/fainelli/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/target-arm-linux-gnueabihf/root-brcmstb/lib/network/wwan
\
/exp00/fainelli/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/target-arm-linux-gnueabihf/root-brcmstb/lib/network/wwan/19d2:0063
\

Which sorts of make sense here because the file name contains a ":"
which is not escaped, so GNU Make tries to interpret it.

Now the part that does not quite make sense to me is why this file is
even relevant here considering that the first thing we do is set
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="" to disable the initramfs basically.

Any clues what could be wrong here? I am happy to provide any build
drops you may need to reproduce that.

Thanks!
--
Florian