[OpenWrt-Devel] Unable to get any OpenWrt version working on Asus WL-300g

Ondrej Zary linux at rainbow-software.org
Thu Oct 20 17:48:43 EDT 2016

Hello,
I have an Asus WL-300g AP, currently running DD-WRT with ancient 2.4 kernel
and I'm trying to upgrade it to OpenWrt using TFTP method.

openwrt-15.05.1-brcm47xx-legacy-asus-wl-300g-squashfs.trx does not boot at all
after flashing (remains in boot loader after reboot/power-up - blinking PWR
LED) - maybe because it's too large?

openwrt-brcm47xx-legacy-asus-wl-300g-squashfs.trx (trunk) seems to boot - PWD
LED blinks quickly, then slower and stays on. If I ping 192.168.1.1
continuously, I even get some replies during boot (during the quick-blink
phase). But then the ethernet link goes down (and LINK LED goess off) and I
can't access the router anymore.

openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx (10.03.1) - seems to boot, ethernet link is up
(and LINK LED on) but can't access the router.

Unfortunately, there's no serial console on this router. Is there any other
possible way to debug? Maybe build an image with wifi enabled?

--
Ondrej Zary