[OpenWrt-Devel] [PROPOSAL] move OpenWrt codebase to Git and GitHub

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue May 24 13:29:30 EDT 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Luka Perkov wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 16:06:13 +0200
> From: Luka Perkov <luka at openwrt.org>
> To: openwrt-devel at lists.openwrt.org, openwrt-users at lists.openwrt.org
> Subject: [OpenWrt-Devel] [PROPOSAL] move OpenWrt codebase to Git and GitHub
>
> Dear OpenWrt mailing list readers,
>
> as the subject says I'd like to make proposal to move the OpenWrt
> codebase to Git. This was already discussed before [1] and now when
> there are no blockers [2] for this change I'd like that we as a
> community move forward with this switch.
>
> Also, I'd like to propose that we move the project to GitHub and here
> are the reasons why I see this as a good decision:
>
> * GitHub will allow people to contribute more easily
>
> The bigger amount of contributions has already happened and can be seen
> on the packages feed which is already hosted on GitHub. With this I'm
> also hoping to avoid comments regarding invalid patches on the mailing
> list.
>
> For now I am proposing that the current development workflow is also
> accepted - aka. patches that are sent to the mailing list are also
> accepted.

OpenWRT has already moved to using Git instead of SVN, so why do they need to
move from hosting the git repository themselves to having it hosted on github?
There can be a mirror of the repo on github (remember that git is a
Decentralized VCS)

> * GitHub and similar services will allow us to integrate more easily
> with other projects
>
> Here specifically I mean integration with modern CI. Here is an example
> of integration with drone.io [3][4]. At the moment this is only in the
> POC stage but what I'd like to do down the line is to:
>
> - build OpenWrt images for all architectures for every pull request
> - build OpenWrt package binary for every package pull request for all
> architectures and make it available for download
>
> - build and host OpenWrt qemu and/or Docker image for every pull request

the build farm isn't large enough to do this

It's also not neccessary to move to github to be able to do this, it just needs
more systems in the build farm to be able to build things fast enough.

> This will allow easy review of the work since flags will be shown in the
> pull request if the build was sucessful or not. Also, this will allow
> people to test changes without building the image and thus lowering the
> time that needs to be spent on maintenance work.
>
> If this proposal gets accepted I'll be sending out an email to get
> access to more build servers so this new build infrastructure can
> properly support the project in a timely fashion.

why should providing more build servers be contingent on moving to a commercial
hosting provider vs running things themselves?

David Lang