[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project

Jonathan Bennett jbscience87 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 11:38:35 EDT 2016

There is plenty of blame to go around, I think.  Seems like the Lede guys
should have had the decency to at least inform the Openwrt leadership
privately that they were planning this venture.  The surprise announcement
must have felt very much like a stab in the back. "Et tu, brute?" and all
that.  I think they want a "friendly fork" as much as possible, but they
dropped the ball in how they announced it.  I suspect that a private email
to mbm and kaloz could have gone a long ways towards heading off problems.
As has been pointed out, the public announcement should not have come from
an @openwrt.org email.

That said, deleting their emails was totally uncalled for.  Seems that
those should be restored, perhaps with the caveat that they are more
carefully used with regards to Lede, aka, not for publicizing or promoting
it.

Guys, for the love of the project, the users, and all else that is good,
please don't make this a ffmpeg/libav split.  Openwrt has been an amazing
thing for a long time, and if mishandled, this has the potential to
actually kill it.

The changes that the Lede guys are suggesting would be welcome, but
splitting the project and community with an ugly fork is very much not
welcome.

--Jonathan Bennett