[OpenWrt-Devel] opkg upgrade all

Michal Hrusecky Michal.Hrusecky at nic.cz
Wed Mar 30 04:19:43 EDT 2016

Daniel Dickinson -  3:18 30.03.16 wrote:
> On 16-03-30 02:48 AM, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
> >
> >Yep, I understand all those. My question was whether upgrade all is disabled
> >just because of this ideological stuff and in hope that users wouldn't find and
> >try one of the posts I linked or whether there is anything really broken.
>
> It's *not* ideological, it's about preventing broken routers.  On most
> routers OpenWrt support, if you do upgrade all you *will* break your router
> because you will end up with a fatal out of space issue that results the
> requirement to reset to factory defaults.
>
> This is because squashfs is *far* more compressed than jffs2 AND because
> with the limited flash on the vast majority of devices it is not at all
> possible upgrade all packages into the overlay jffs2 without causing the
> jffs2 to end up with 0 erase blocks free, which results in a situation where
> you can't even erase files to get back to a working state (try it if you
> don't believe me - dd if=/dev/zero of=/fill.bin and then try to get back to
> a working state).

And as I said I know that you *can* run out of disk space and effectively break
your OpenWRT installation. As you can do with your mentioned
'dd if=/dev/zero of=/fill.bin' or with
'opkg upgrade `opkg list-upgradable | sed 's|\ .*||'`'
You can also break your router in plenty of other ways. But dd is still in.  I
also know people are dumb and will do it, but they are also creative and can
use google so they will do it anyway (and when I google for opkg upgrade,
workarounds to get opkg upgrade all back is the 3rd to 8th link showed on the
results page).

So from the replies so far I guess the only reason for disabling it is the try
to prevent people from doing stupid stuff, nothing really broken, right?