[OpenWrt-Devel] 15.05.1 - Chaos Calmer

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Mon Mar 21 09:05:09 EDT 2016

On 03/16/2016 02:07 PM, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> On 03/16/2016 01:06 PM, John Crispin wrote:
>> The OpenWrt developers are proud to announce the minor fix release of
>> OpenWrt Chaos Calmer.
>>
>>    _______                     ________        __
>>  |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
>>  |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
>>  |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
>>           |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
>>  -----------------------------------------------------
>>  CHAOS CALMER (15.05.1)
>>  -----------------------------------------------------
>>   * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
>>   * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
>>   * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
>>   * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
>>   * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
>>  -----------------------------------------------------
>>
>>  -----------------------------------------------------
>> http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/
>>

>> ** Highlights since Chaos Calmer 15.05 **
>>
>> * Linux kernel updated to version 3.18.23
>
> Great work! :)
>
> One note about the kernel version: 3.18.23 is a very unfortunate choice, as
> it contains a regression causing nondeterministic boot hangs (caused by a
> faulty backport), which is very easy to trigger on some hardware. This has
> been fixed in 3.18.24 (see [1]).
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/log/?h=v3.18.24

I must correct myself on this issue: 3.18.24 did not fix it, but only hide
it. 3.18.27 is affected as well. I'll try to find out what is causing it.

Fortunately, the official 15.05.1 images seem to be unaffected (at least on
the two devices I've seen the issue on, TL-WR841 v5 and v7), but building
the CC HEAD will often yield broken images.

There are multiple reports of this issue already, I've found the following:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/21773
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/21857

The issue is extremely suspectible to timing (or minor differences in the
kernel image?), adding any additional debug output just made it go away in
my tests so far... :/

Matthias