[OpenWrt-Devel] Response to LEDE proposal/queries/mail?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Tue Jun 7 09:26:44 EDT 2016

Hi!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 02:42:36PM +0200, Zoltan HERPAI wrote:
> The official line - which I should have sent out a few days ago - from the
> OpenWrt team is:
> ----
>
> Felix's initial comment was LEDE to become a "development environment" for
> new ideas, and to keep OpenWrt as the standard distro. We have stayed away
> from committing to OpenWrt trunk to keep a clean sheet according to this, to
> let LEDE members cleanly and easily merge their changes. (Apologies to all

Interesting, has anyone asked you to do this? LEDE keeps merging things
from OpenWrt's tree without any difficulties caused so far. There is
even a formal scheme on how to label commits imported from OpenWrt.

> contributors for not pushing their patches so far). Luka - as no objections
> but only praises were received - plans to do the proposed github move later
> this week, which will help with the workflow for contributors.
>
> What we would like is to:
> - Ask the LEDE members currently maintaining targets to update their
> targets,

By posting patches e.g. for the oxnas target which I maintain to the
mailing list and bother John to merge them?
How do you imagine this could work without a transparent procedure on
how people could gain or (be forced to) drop commit access?
Nothing about that is mentioned on
https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/GoverningRules
(and that's apparently still a draft which hasn't ever been approved
by all existing project members, I never ever saw any of that
PGP-signed voting described in there on the mailing list happen in
all the years I'm following it)

> - Ask the LEDE members to tell us about terms and wishes for reunite.
> Currently there is no official word from LEDE on this, which is quite
> confusing.

Which exact goal are you referring to? Imho a 'split' never happened,
everybody kept contributing to both projects. However, I reckon you
cannot expect people to just get back to work without priorly dealing
with or at least acknowlede the fact that very few people did most of
the work without a clear strategy on how to change that situation.
Moving to github might improve that, but still fails to address the
remaining issues (see http://www.lede-project.org/), such as the
intransparent communication and decission making behind closed doors.
Technically that means openwrt-hackers at lists.openwrt.org should have
a publicly accessible archive (at least from now on), the private IRC
channels should also allow public read access and decissions made
should be backed by those publicly accessible communications.

> We will start merging the pending patches in patchwork this week to get
> trunk back into a healthy state while discussions are underway. LEDE patches
> will also be brought in where appropriate.

Great to hear this!

> Regards,
> The OpenWrt team

Just for the record: Who is that exactly?

Cheers

Daniel