[OpenWrt-Devel] SDK vs. Toolchain+

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Tue Jan 5 11:22:22 EST 2016

On 05/01/16 10:49 AM, Joris de Vries wrote:

>> On 05 Jan 2016, at 16:04, Daniel Dickinson
>> <openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com <mailto:openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> am of two minds about how to deal with the issue that having to build
>> the toolchain for an SDK before being able use the SDK is rather
>> painful (or at least it tests my patience; don't know about other people).
> To be honest, it is more of a one-time time cost than a continuous cost.
> That is, I don't typically rebuilt the entire toolchain on every
> compile. Perhaps some of your frustration can be alleviated by using a
> slightly different workflow?

The problem is that I find, at least with ar71xx, that even with a an
already compile toolchain that target/linux/compile takes an annoying
amount of time (even though nothing is being compiled, there is a lot of
stuff that still gets done), and,

in addition, target/linux/install takes a very long time because there
are preparations for every image, even if you only want two or three
profiles (but the two or three means you can't just select one profile
and be happy), because you have multiple types of hardware you want to
deal with.

It's actually target/linux that's the major issue when it comes to
allowing not rebuilding every time to be a useful answer.

Regards,

Daniel