[OpenWrt-Devel] SHA512/SHA256 hashes truncated/busybox weirdness

Chris Marchesi chrism at vancluevertech.com
Sun Jan 3 14:17:16 EST 2016

Hey!

I tried to change the default passwd algorithm used by busybox to sha512,
but got some strange looking hashes back by passwd after changing.

They basically had the algorithm and the salt (maybe) squashed, like below.

$6abCDefGH:(rest of shadow entry here)

Admittedly I'm not used to seeing this, so I'm not too sure if it's an
issue or not. The passwords still worked after this, but I'm not too sure
if it was insecure, so I reverted it back to defaults.

Any ideas? I'm used to seeing a full $6$salt$hash entry.