[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] replace outdated udev by eudev?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Feb 7 06:00:35 EST 2016

Hi John,

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:33:00AM +0100, John Crispin wrote:
> >> which brings us back to my second question, why not add these features
> >> to procd ? my experience is that these features can be implemented in
> >> 100 lines +/-
> >
> > I agree that I'd be quite easy to sort-out the persistent aliases for
> > serial and all sorts of other devices.

I shall investigate and maybe suggest an implementation for persistent
aliases of serial devices inside procd within the next weeks.

> > However, e.g. libinput uses a quite wide set of udev's functions:
> > [...]
> ah ok, you are building desktop stuff. i dont really care in that case.
> it thought you wanted to run udev on a router which made me wonder.

Ok, so I'd suggest to drop udev from OpenWrt core and provide eudev via
the packages feed for things which require it beyond the core use-cases
OpenWrt is designed for. Does that sound agreeable to everyone?

About the GUI libraries, please consider devices like those:

This 4" touch-screen doesn't exactly make it a desktop device, I'm not
planning to run libreoffice and firefox on top of Gnome shell and all
that... it's still a special-purpose thing, just that it warns you when
your shitty smart TV calls home or shows some bandwidth graphs, allows
you to enter credentials for authentication with the ISP or provide a
password for cryptsetup storage on your NAS box -- in a way which
doesn't depend on other devices (usually running a vulnerable browser
and a proprietary or at least tainted OS) to be free from keyloggers,
rootkits and all that...

OpenWrt is a nice platform for all sorts of so-called 'IoT' stuff which
in some cases could use udev for meaningful things and yet it's not at
all a desktop system -- think of printers, scanners, IoT remotes with
touch-screens, fridges, coffee-machines and also (outdated) mobile
phones running vanilla Linux like the Nokia N9 and yet no useful
minimalistic GUI... I'd love to see EFL on top of OpenWrt running on
the N9 without all the bloat of Android, Tizen, MER, megoo and
what-not...

Cheers

Daniel