[OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Dec 22 08:22:40 EST 2016

>> - While brands have value, you can change a name without losing all the
>> brand recognition.  I'm thinking here of cases like XBMC->Kodi or
>> OpenOffice-> LibreOffice.
> I would point at OpenOffice -> LibreOffice as a failure of name changes.

There are several aspects in a name change.  E.g. whether someone who
hears the new name is likely to know what it is and that it's related to
the old name.  In the case of LibreOffice, I think this part of the name
change worked just fine: all people I know who know OpenOffice also
recognize LibreOffice as "the name as some OpenOffice-derivative".
So it does carry over the brand recognition.

Yes, there are a lot of people who still download OO, but that part of
the problem is linked to the fact that the two projects didn't merge, so
there was no effort on the OO part to educate people about the new name
and redirect them to the LibreOffice web site, doc, etc...

Currently, LEDE has the same problem as LibreOffice, but compounded by
the fact that most people have no idea what LEDE is, let alone that it's
somehow related to OpenWRT.

        Stefan