[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] Older u-boot mangles UBI from ubinize 1.5.2

J Mo jmomo at jmomo.net
Thu Aug 11 09:15:32 EDT 2016

On 08/11/2016 05:31 AM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> That's what I told you in the previous mail, removing the rootfs=
> parameter from the dts should do the trick, because you just cannot
> mount a ubi device (which is a character device in Linux) with a
> block-based filesystem (like squashfs). This cannot and won't ever
> work and you could either leave it to OpenWrt/LEDE's auto-probing to
> figure out what to do based on the rootfs type (non-ubifs vs. ubifs)
> or append even more board- and filesystem-specific crap to your cmdline
> such as ubiblock=... root=/dev/ubiblock0_1 (however, that then won't
> work for ubifs, thus the auto-probing patches).

... OH!

Well, I needed some extra intellectual clubbing to catch on.

NOW I remember reading the UBI docs, about glubi, the fact that volumes
are char devices, and I even seem to remember some ALL CAPS red size-20+
text at the top of the page saying something about it.

Tomorrow I'll go read the docs again, because I know I remember reading
that you could put a RO-squashfs in a UBI volume.  I just need to have
it mounted the right way.