[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWRT www version banner a security risk

Joshua Judson Rosen jrosen at harvestai.com
Mon Sep 14 10:52:01 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-13 15:42, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I just remembered that robots.txt is just a text file to stick in /www, so it is
> certainly is not high cost, although now that I remember that is also less
> useful than I was thinking because it really only prevents indexing by
> cooperative robots that obey robots.txt

Indeed: robots.txt is exactly the opposite of `security through _obscurity_':
it's a listing that explicitly tells clients what they're not supposed to look at.

Trying to use robots.txt as a security measure is actually worse than nothing:
you protect yourself from your friends at the expense marking yourself
for the bad guys :)