[OpenWrt-Devel] Target profiles: making "make" build every profile

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:30:55 EDT 2015

Quick summary:
Subtargets - used for building modified kernels
Profiles - used for including specific software

There are two ways of using profiles:

1) Changing some software for all devices
Used when profile is used for all devices (no filtering, no per device
profiles).
This is used e.g. by brcm47xx. Normally all images will be built with
b43. However by changing a profile you can get *all* images to include
wl.ko.

2) Including extra software for specific devices
Used when profile is (group) device specific. E.g. including USB
drivers for devices with USB only.
This is something I'd like to use with bcm53xx. I'd like to include
brcmfmac.ko in two images only (R8000 and SR400ac). Of course, I'll
need to adjust target/bcm53xx/image/Makefile to:
a) Stop building SR400ac and R8000 images for TARGET_bcm53xx_Generic
b) Build above images for something new like TARGET_bcm53xx_brcmfmac

If I add TARGET_bcm53xx_brcmfmac as explained above, its images won't
be build anymore by default.
I'd like to to have a way to ask "make" for building all profiles by
setting some variable in target/bcm53xx/Makefile

Can someone give me some help with implementing this?

--
Rafał