[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWRT www version banner a security risk

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun Sep 13 16:49:35 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-13 4:41 PM, Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca wrote:
> While openwrt doesn't offer security release, hiding version in banner
> is not very effective. If the attacker can detect it is OpenWRT and if
> there is a known security issue for any major version, it is enough to
> try an attack.
>
> Robot.txt is effective as Google is a common tool to look for targets. I

Do you have any references / statistics / facts to justify this claim?

> guess brute force scanners would not care to detect luci open to web as
> it is a rare target (if Google does not list them). If they care, again,

Erm, if luci is rare target, then who is going to bother with searching
for vulnerable banners?

Furthermore, the far better way to avoid this exposure is prevent
exposing the web interface unintentionally in the first place.

I'm not convinced robots.txt prevents a significant number attacks,
although given small size of robots.txt I don't think it would hurt to
include it anyway.

I'm merely pointing out that the robots.txt is really not a very
effective solution to the stated reason for wanting it (protecting user
from accidental exposure, or from choosing to expose without realize the
risks of doing so).

I think solving the real problem is more important than relying on a
bandaid and saying 'job done'.

(Which is how I view Etienne's robots.txt email).

Regards,

Daniel