[OpenWrt-Devel] Networking on Raspberry Pi Model B

Bruno Randolf br1 at einfach.org
Thu Oct 22 13:36:53 EDT 2015

On 10/22/2015 05:53 PM, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I have installed OpenWrt (trunk, as of around October 17) on a Raspberry
> Pi Model B. The network adapter is an Edimax 802.11b/g/n Nano USB Adapter.
> Unfortunately, the network stack of the device is failing after a
> number of minutes. At this point, for example, pinging and other network
> communication begins to fail.
>
> The same device is reliable when running Pidora.
>
> I am going to continue to troubleshoot, but wanted to see if any other
> developers where having trouble with OpenWrt on the Raspberry Pi. Has
> anyone else seen similar symptoms?

Yes, it's a problem of the rtl8192cu driver. There is a new driver for
that chipset in the making, its name is rtl8xxxu and it can currently be
found here:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jes/linux.git/log/?h=rtl8723au-mac80211

So far it only supports STA and monitor mode but it's pretty stable and
does not suffer from these outages.

I recently created a OpenWRT package for it which I will post to this
mailing-list soon, but it only works on OpenWRT trunk so far.

bruno