[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Bruno Randolf br1 at einfach.org
Tue Oct 13 03:50:37 EDT 2015

On 10/12/2015 10:53 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>> git describe
>>
>> r-35387-g83c5a41
>>
>> If you prefer, cut the last part and get "r-35387".
>>
>> Looks familiar? Now you even have real linear numbering in each branch,
>> without the gaps you get when committing to different branches in SVN +
>> the unique hash. Need to look up the commit? Use the hash (g83c5a41).
>>
>> Of course "r" is just an example to show the familiarity with SVN
>> revisions, you could choose whatever seems fit, for example at this
>> moment it would make sense to tag the moment when 15.05 was branched off
>> from trunk as "dd", then you'd get "dd-number-hash" in trunk and
>> "15.05-66-g66620f5" in the 15.05 branch (you actually do, just need to
>> use "git describe --tags" because the tag was not created with -a).
>
> That looks quite interesting. The issue I see with that is if somebody
> adds a local commit on top and builds the tree, the number behind 'r' is
> misleading and the hash is useless.

Right, I see, the ambiguous numbering with local commits may be a weak
point. But then, if you don't find the hash in the OpenWRT git, you also
know that it's not a clean copy of trunk and that's also valuable
information. People should report bugs from clean trunk, not containing
random, unknown, additional commits.

bruno