[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Javier Domingo Cansino javierdo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:32:36 EDT 2015

> We currently don't have any tags for mainline trunk, since we usually
> don't directly release from it.

I would like to know how you usually release. Can you map a commit to a
release, if you can't, then we may use another simpler method.

$parent-$commit$dirty

That would give you info enought to checkout either the $parent, if you
don't have access to $commit, and to know that something was changed in
$commit.

> How does the script know which one is the right upstream?

It's hardcoded in the version script. If remote doesn't exist, I can inject
it temporarily, bad thing is that I would need to fetch upstream to be able
to compare AFAIK. If the remote does exist, I can just generate it from
there (don't need to have latest commit to know where they forked)

> If I see such a string, how do I look up the last OpenWrt commit from
> that? With the revision number, I simply start git log and search for
> @<number>

The number of commits are just for people that comes from SVN to feel
comfortable. You don't really need them. You can have the number of
previous commits if you wish, but is not needed really (it might be an
indicative on how much work there is)

We could do fancy things like instead of logging the number of commits, log
the number of diff lines.

$parent-$commit-$difflines$dirty.

However I find this rather disturbing and even privacy compromising.

I think I could provide the proper solution if you tell me what you thing
would be useful for you to have.