[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Joris de Vries j.s.de.vries at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 11:30:07 EDT 2015

> On 11 Oct 2015, at 14:48, John Crispin <blogic at openwrt.org> wrote:
>
> patches will linger in mailing list until someone has time to look at
> them. the version control system used is completely irrelevant

Which is true enough if the switch just encompasses moving to another VCS. However, what has not been made explicit enough is that switching to git _and_ a git web interface like Github/Gitlab may make it easier to contribute. My understanding is that it would be much easier to test proposed changes as people can simply do a checkout on a pull request and run the proposed code. Currently (unless I am missing something which is unfortunately quite possible), one would have to manually insert the patches to test.

Someone said earlier that switching to github for the packages made a positive difference in contributions. I would like to see that supported by some numbers, or possibly a contributor can elaborate a bit on the process and whether they perceive any benefits. That way, the migration of the packages might show a practical use case in the context of this project and its workflows.

Joris