[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Sun Oct 11 08:48:13 EDT 2015

On 11/10/2015 14:09, Jan Čermák wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for pointing that out, Steven. Yes, this is basically the main reason why
> Bedrich opened this topic. If you need to maintain sustainable OpenWrt fork (no
> flame please, there are some situations - like running "heavyweight" OpenWrt
> fork on a device like our Turris - when it's reasonable to fork), pure Git is
> the way to go.

although i see the point, out of tree fork have never been relevant to
any core decision makings

> When you have a fork based on some trunk version, it's not *that hard* to merge
> upstream changes from time to time, but if you want to base your system on some
> stable branch and then upgrade to a newer one, getting back the history of
> changes between versions gets pretty awkward.

indeed

> IMHO the main argument against Git over SVN here is that users would lose the
> information that'll help them to compare which version is newer. But as Atilla
> and Bruno said - git describe works maybe even better than just an incrementing
> revision number. Maybe it'd be needed to change a some of the workflow, but the
> pros of git (for us mainly: keeping the track of history and merging upstream
> changes) outweigh the cons.

essentially the same point as above

> Last but not least - Git has become a de-facto standard for larger projects with
> more contributors and the it helps to open the project to community - sending a
> patch to the mailing list (a patch that sometimes just lies there without any
> positive nor negative response for weeks) might discourage smaller contributors.
> Just look at the situation of openwrt-packages - the people became much more
> active since moving the repo to GitHub.

patches will linger in mailing list until someone has time to look at
them. the version control system used is completely irrelevant

to sum up, people want to have the history inside the branches ?