[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Jonathan Bennett jbscience87 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:17:41 EDT 2015

On Oct 9, 2015 2:21 PM, "Jo-Philipp Wich" <jow at openwrt.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > Moving to Git seemed to have lots of traction at the summit, and I'll
> > add my voice that this sounds like a step in the right direction for
> > OpenWrt.  I'm assuming that we would want to do a proper SVN to Git
> > conversion, and Eric's help on this would be great, I think.  My
> > discussion with Eric is over on Google+ and marked public:
> > https://plus.google.com/+JonathanBennett87/posts/bMPMjn7ZcJS
>
> Why does the core system need to migrate from svn to git?
>
> ~ Jow

Several points were made at the meetup. I'm not the best to recap, as I
work more with the github community packages repos.

One point that was made is that upstreaming kernel patches would be
easier.  Also, most of the community uses git instead of svn, so there is
some advantage in using the more familiar tool.  Again, I'm not the best to
make the case.  Hopefully some others will jump in and contribute to the
conversation.

--Jonathan