[OpenWrt-Devel] STAGING_DIR vs. --sysroot

Rüdiger, Christoph Christoph.Ruediger at thyssenkrupp.com
Fri Nov 6 09:24:24 EST 2015

Hi folks,

I'm wondering a bit why the OpenWrt toolchains rely on a set STAGING_DIR environment variable. I haven't found any documentation on this except "You have to set it". Examining the source tree of gcc didn't show me any STAGING_DIR occurrence. It seems to be used only in the specs file. And from examining these, I get the feeling that the STAGING_DIR environment variable is used to work around or against the sysroot setting.

As the OpenWrt SDK is the first gcc I've worked with that rely on a command line variable, my question is: Why did OpenWrt introduced this (uncommon?) extension instead of an additional command line argument?

The STAGING_DIR env variable makes it difficult to work with in build systems like cmake where you have to give a toolchain file with the compiler flags and paths and have to set the environment variable for each build.

Regards,
Christoph

--
ThyssenKrupp Elevator Innovation GmbH
PDC Neuhausen

Phone +49 7158 12-2615
christoph.ruediger at thyssenkrupp.com

Company domicile: Essen      Commercial register: Essen HRB 20 839
Postal address: ThyssenKrupp Allee 1, 45143 Essen, Germany
Executive Board: Gerhard Thumm, Katrin Huenger, Philippe Choleau