[OpenWrt-Devel] Link detection - TP-Link Archer C7 v2

Richard Clark richard at kerkhofftech.ca
Wed May 27 12:21:47 EDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 05:41 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> the link status is not propagated to the netdev because there's an
> external switch chip between the CPU and the RJ45 plug on the outside.
>
> There currently is no mechanism to propagate switch port states to Linux
> netdev link states as such an mechanism has various implications.

Ok, that makes sense.  Just my dumb luck that the little portable
GL-Inet I was developing on happens to not have an internal switch, so
everything was fine there.

So currently it looks like good chunk of routers seem to follow the same
block diagram as the original WRT54g and are going to have the same
issue.  All the netifd handling to start/stop services on link state
never gets used.

I have worked around it for now by making a daemon to watch the switch
status events and manually up/down the interface in userspace.

Thanks for the info!

-Richard