[OpenWrt-Devel] How to track IO usage of internal flash mtd partitions?

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:58:04 EDT 2015

Hi,
OpenWrt devices use mtd partitions, but I don't have enough knowledge
on how to track IO activity, especially number of writes.

I know that mtd device isn't a block device, but what confuses me that
I see mtdblock devices also. Do they simulate block device? Why?

I have used iostat but it is not showing any changes on mtdblock5
partition which is mounted as /overlay jffs2 partition on this device
I'm using.

I have also checked stats in /proc/diskstat, and they also only change
for /dev/mmcblk0p1 which is external usb device, but not for any of
mtdblockX partitions.

Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!