[OpenWrt-Devel] IPv6: network segmentation, use of vlan and IPsec

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Fri Mar 27 03:33:00 EDT 2015

Dear friends,

I am studying IPv6 networks and would like to share some ideas with the
community. At present, I am not sure to understand how to filter traffic
and split networks. Here are a few questions:

vlan:
IPv6 has no broadcast. Do we still need vlans to segment traffic? Would
you recommend using vlans together with IPv6?

Filtering a switch:
When a device includes a switch, how to filter ipV6 traffic on the
switch? Do we need to use Brouting and ebtable or can it be done with
iptables6?

Mac address filtering:
ipv6 embeds MAC address in frames. Clients may generate fake MAC
addresses. Is there a way to hide MAC addresses on the router itself?

IPsec:
IPv6 allows to use IPsec in IPv6 frames. Can it be done already with a
combination of FreeRadius, StrongSwan and IPv6. Do you know working
configurations in OpenWRT?

Kind regards,
Gnutella